[AstroNet] Update

Astronomy education in SA - email discussion group astronet at mail.saasta.ac.za
Fri Aug 24 02:23:03 SAST 2007

Hello all
3 quick points:

1. Just a quick update regarding the International Year of Astronomy
2009 in South Africa:
The National Steering Committee met in Johannesburg on Wednesday (22nd
August 2007) to tackle the business plan and budget in detail as well as
to discuss the astronomy resource consolidation.
These discussions were productive and we will proceed accordingly with
the process of sourcing funding for IYA2009. We are hoping to meet with
relevant government departments during September 2007.
Decisions on the structure of the resource database were conclusive so
watch this space for notification of when we launch the initial
astronomy resources webpage.

2. In the meantime, we continue to seek collaborations with other
African countries so if you know of potential champions around this
continent, please put them in contact with me (details below). There is
an online call out to African countries to join forces for IYA (see
www.astronomy2009.org.za) - feel free to copy this call to your contacts
around Africa.

3. In other news, for those who haven't heard already, Google, together
with NASA/Space Telescope Institute, Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and
Digital Sky Survey Consortium, has expanded Google Earth to include the
universe (well part of it anyway)! I've taken it for a test drive and it
is absolutely brilliant! A great alternative to cloudy nights when you
promised to show people the stars! Go to
http://earth.google.com/sky/index.html. (Hint: make sure you have a
decent internet connection)

Regards
Kevin

--
Kevin Govender
Manager: SALT Collateral Benefits Programme
Email: kg at saao.ac.za
Skype: kevindran
Website: www.saao.ac.za / www.salt.ac.za
Postal: P.O. Box 9, Observatory, Cape Town, 7935, South Africa
Street: SAAO, Observatory Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa