[AstroNet] [Fwd: Two moons...]

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Tue Aug 19 16:32:41 SAST 2008

Hi all
Please see the query below from Hildegarde regarding Earth's "second
moon" (called Cruithne).

If any of you have come across this similar question (or even if you
haven't as yet) you may be interested to know that Cruithne is an
asteroid (a small rock that goes around the sun) but because it's orbit
is relatively close to the earth's it appears to have a complicated
motion around the earth (hence the impression that it is a second moon).
There's a cool diagram on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3753_Cruithne and
also a some nice references, check out especially the NASA JPL reference
which has more data on it.

In short, it's an asteroid near to the earth's orbit - but NOT a second
moon.

Please continue to send in any queries or interesting things you may
come across.

Regards
Kevin