[AstroNet] Books, links and (later) a new website

Christian Hettlage hettlage at saao.ac.za
Fri Aug 22 17:07:15 SAST 2008

Dear All,

Kevin has asked me whether I would be willing to manage the (South
African) IYA web site, and as I agreed it seems I have that task
now... What this means is that you ought to direct any requests
concerning the site to me (rather than Kevin), i.e. to hettlage at saao.ac.za
  (unless, of course, you feel it is more appropriate to send it to
the Astronet mailing list).

Some of you have sent interesting astronomy-related links to the
mailing list over the last weeks. It would be great if you could
continue doing this, so that the IYA 2009 link page

http://www.astronomy2009.org.za/links/

can be further expanded. If you send a link, please include two or
three sentences outlining what it is about.

In addition, Kevin suggested to have a collection of good astronomy
books on the web,

http://www.astronomy2009.org.za/index.php?id=1171

So far, the page contains three books only and thus any suggestions
for other books to include will be highly appreciated. (Please include
a short paragraph about the book's content.)

Finally, at the SAAO the development of a new South African IYA web
site is underway. It will include

a) a database of public outreach resources
b) a database of links, books and FAQs
c) an events calendar
d) reports about IYA 2009 events
d) an image gallery of IYA 2009 events
e) IYA 2009 news

If you can think of a great feature the web site should have, please
let me know.

Thanks!

Regards,

Christian Hettlage