[AstroNet] Total Lunar Eclipse - early morning Thu Feb 21st.

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Fri Feb 15 03:27:22 SAST 2008

Just to follow up on Claire's email, there's also some information on
the SAAO website (www.saao.ac.za).

Also, please watch out for Saturn which will be right next to the moon
on that night. There'll also be a bright star (Regulus) which will
appear to move closer then further from the moon - great for sky
enthusiasts (this is what I get from Stellarium - really great software
- www.stellarium.org)

The SAAO is planning to join forces with Lynedoch Primary School
(Stellenbosch), the Sustainability Institute as part of the Universe
Awareness (UNAWE) programme to participate in a global event where
learners from countries such as Chile, Columbia, Venezuela, Spain,
Bahamas (to mention just a few) will be linked up via a SKYPECAST
(www.unawe.org) hosted from UNAWE headquarters Holland. We will be
visiting the school on Wednesday 20th during the day to give a talk to
the whole school on what we can expect to see that night/next morning.
There will be about 12 learners who will sleep over at the school on
Wednesday night and get up very early the next morning to watch the
eclipse and to share their experiences with kids from these other
countries and then their friends the next day when we will give a follow
up talk. We will take telescopes with a solar filter for day and night
viewing, which should make this a really special experience.

All welcome who would like to join.

Regards
Kevin

--
*** If you are at all interested in Astronomy Education and Outreach, please join the AstroNet email list - details on SA International Year of Astronomy website: www.astronomy2009.org.za ***

Kevin Govender
Manager: SALT Collateral Benefits Programme
South African Astronomical Observatory
Office: +27 21 460 9350
Mobile: +27 82 487 8466
Fax: +27 21 447 3639
Email: kg at saao.ac.za
Skype: kevindran
Website: www.saao.ac.za / www.salt.ac.za
Postal: P.O. Box 9, Observatory, Cape Town, 7935, South Africa
Street: SAAO, Observatory Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa