[AstroNet] [Fwd: GHOU2008]

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Fri Jun 13 11:18:15 SAST 2008

Subject: 	GHOU2008
Date: 	Thu, 12 Jun 2008 22:44:59 +0100
From: 	Rosa Doran <rosa.doran at nuclio.pt>
To: 	Lara Albanese <Albanese at arcetri.astro.it>, Gonzalo Argandona
<tvv at vigyanprasar.gov.in>, Jan Visser <jvisser at learndev.org>, Avivah
Yamani <avivah at langitselatan.com>, Luis Barrera <tnobarrera at gmail.com>,
Laura Durnford <durnford at terena.org>, Franco Pacini
<pacini at arcetri.astro.it>, Julie Elkner <julie.elkner at googlemail.com>,
<ingrid.smit at planet.nl>, Marjolein van Breemen <vanbreemen at e-nemo.nl>,
<verdoes at astro.rug.nl>, <vandenputte at ncwt.nl>, George Miley
<miley at strw.leidenuniv.nl>, Dr. Carolina Ödman
<odman at strw.leidenuniv.nl>, Sarah Levin <sarah at strw.leidenuniv.nl>

We invite you to come to Global Hands-On Universe (GHOU) meeting in Lisbon,
Portugal, this July.

Every year GHOU stakeholders meet to present results, exchange experiences,
present new resources and introduce new tools. It is a golden opportunity
for new countries to get acquainted with GHOU resources, to strength the
already existing collaboration and start fresh collaborative projects. To
the host nation it is a great opportunity to share its hospitality, to show
their touristical points, to introduce friends to its gastronomy. This year
meeting is hosted by NUCLIO, a non-profit astronomers association devoted to
public outreach and education. NUCLIO is the Portuguese partner of Global
Hands-on Universe.  This year programme will have a special emphasis on
activities for IYA2009 and our participation in a very important
cornerstone, the  "Galileo Teacher Training Programme". It will be an honour
to us to receive all our friends in this beautiful sunny town. We promise it
will be an unforgettable experience.
More information available at: http://ghou2008.globalhou.net

The workshop dates for learning new GHOU modules and lesson plans are on
July 16 to July 18 (inclusive) and the larger GHOU
meeting is from July 20th - 23rd.

The site is working now at: http://ghou2008.globalhou.net/

We hope you can join us in this effort of building a worldwide network of
astronomy educators. One that will by far outlast IYA2009.

This will be an exciting year ahead -- a year in which we can all spread our
wings a bit and help teachers and children from all over to enter and
discover their Universe in a meaningful way. We are tremendously energized
and excited by these prospects. We might hope to achieve a world record then
for the largest number of nations reached with one educational program.

We know that the future will yield substantial benefits for all of us. We
could not ask for more, and we hope you can share in this with our good
IYA/GTTP/GHOU
collaboration.

Onwards,

Rosa Doran and Carl Pennypacker