[AstroNet] AstroGuide: An evolving astonomy outreach resource

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Mon May 5 19:33:10 SAST 2008

Greetings all
Please have a look at
http://www.astronomy2009.org.za/projects/astroguide/ for the latest copy
of the one-page guide to outreach (it's actually 4 pages squeezed into
one double sided page).
This will also be the basis for the astronomy outreach workshops in June
and we invite comments and suggestions for changes.
Personal note: Although targeted at people doing outreach, just about
everyone even vaguely curious about astronomy should find it quite
interesting, so spread the word as far as you care to.

Extracted from the webpage:

This resource is meant to be a quick reference guide for people doing
any form of astronomy outreach. It is meant to cover some of the most
common questions that are asked during any astronomy presentation. Hence
it has been dubbed the "Essential Astronomy Quick Reference Guide for
Outreach". However, upon careful consideration of the acronym "EAQRGFO"
we have decided to called it the "AstroGuide" for short.

One of the principles was that everything fits onto a single A4 sheet of
paper which can easily be folded and kept in one's pocket in case of
emergency astronomy outreach! (Such an emergency situation may arise if
one comes across a clear sky in the presence of a crowd!) Well, we've
managed to squeeze in a whole lot of info onto 4 electronic pages so
when you are printing this guide, please print "2 pages per sheet" and
"print on both sides" in order to keep to the principle of it fitting
onto one A4 page.

It is also meant to be an evolving document so anyone with experience in
astronomy outreach is welcome to evaluate and suggest changes to this
document. Also, if you come across similar documents/guides let's try to
take the best of each and come up with a user friendly final version.
Whatever suggestions you have for improvement, please send them to
info(at)astronomy2009.org.za. Have we missed something important? Have
we made a mistake? Should we squeeze in more? All comments welcome.

Latest versions of the AstroGuide will be downloadable from this webpage
(http://www.astronomy2009.org.za/projects/astroguide/)

--
*** If you are at all interested in Astronomy Education and Outreach, please join the AstroNet email list - details on SA International Year of Astronomy website: www.astronomy2009.org.za ***

Kevin Govender
Manager: SALT Collateral Benefits Programme
South African Astronomical Observatory
Office: +27 21 460 9350
Mobile: +27 82 487 8466
Fax: +27 21 447 3639
Email: kg at saao.ac.za
Skype: kevindran
Website: www.saao.ac.za / www.salt.ac.za
Postal: P.O. Box 9, Observatory, Cape Town, 7935, South Africa
Street: SAAO, Observatory Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa