[AstroNet] Planetarium - Moon passes Venus, special talks

Claire Flanagan Claire.Flanagan at wits.ac.za
Wed Oct 1 09:46:19 SAST 2008

Crescent Moon passing Venus:
Look out for the young crescent Moon in the west, where the Sun sets,
just after sunset today (Wednesday) and tomorrow.
Today the Moon will be below left of Venus, our bright "evening star".
Thursday, the Moon will be above Venus.

You should also see "Earthshine" on the dark part of the Moon - this is
sunlight reflected from the Earth (from below the horizon in front of
you in the west) back onto our side of the Moon.
The bright crescent is lit directly, by sunlight coming from roughly the
other side of the Moon.

Special Talks:

The Importance of Lucy - Dr Donald Johanson
This is the 6th annual PAST keynote lecture, hosted by the
Palaeontological Scientific Trust (PAST) and Standard Bank.
When: Thu 2nd Oct, 6pm
Where: Wits University - Great Hall
Cost: Adults R45  students R20. Booking though computicket or at the
door
Info:  web.wits.ac.za <http://web.wits.ac.za/>

SAIEE 2008 Bernard Price Memorial Lecture:
Exploring our Fiery Star, the Sun -  Prof. Sami K. Solanki
[Max Planck Institute for Solar System Research, Germany]
Mon 13 Oct -  Johannesburg  [Wits University, Great Hall]
Tue 14 Oct - George
Wed 15 Oct - Port Elizabeth
Thu  16 Oct - Durban
Fri 17 Oct - Cape Town
Cost: free
Info: www.saiee.org.za <http://www.saiee.org.za/>

Planetarium News:
The Jhb Planetarium is delighted to report that the Dept of Science and
Technology has allocated a R199,400 "capacity-building" grant to the
Planetarium.  This funding is intended to improve our service to
schools, by upgrading and staffing our display area.

Claire Flanagan
Jhb Planetarium
www.planetarium.co.za
011-717-1390