[AstroNet] Fwd: The Great World Wide Star Count is coming soon!

Lisa Crause lisa at saao.ac.za
Wed Oct 15 10:44:15 SAST 2008

Hi Everyone

This looks like fun - let's see how many of us can contribute!  I've
attached the pdf Activity Guide, but see the links below for more info...

Cheers
Lisa

It is coming soon! The Great World Wide Star Count is starting on
October 20th and running through November 3rd , 2008. This Windows to
the Universe program is an international citizen-science event that
encourages everyone, astronomers and non-astronomers alike, to measure
their local light pollution and report their observations online.

The Great World Wide Star Count, now a part of the Dark Skies Awareness
cornerstone project for the upcoming International Year of Astronomy, is
designed to raise awareness about light pollution as well as encourage
learning in astronomy. No prior experience is necessary--all information
needed to participate is on the Star Count Web site
(www.windows.ucar.edu/starcount), along with a downloadable activity
guide (www.windows.ucar.edu/citizen_science/starcount/downloads.html)
available in eight languages. All observations will be available online
via Google Earth and as downloadable datasets.

In 2007, people from 64 countries contributed more than 6,600
observations to the inaugural Star Count. In order to build momentum in
for IYA in 2009, we are hoping to double our participation this year and
need your help!

Please help us spread the word to your members, families, friends, and
especially any teachers that you may know.
Our downloads page
(www.windows.ucar.edu/citizen_science/starcount/downloads.html) also
contains a half-page flyer that may be freely printed and distributed.

Sincerely,
Star Count Management Team

--
Clear skies