[AstroNet] New Years Star Party at Sutherland

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Fri Oct 17 20:48:37 SAST 2008

Hi all
Big news regarding how we will see in the International Year of
Astronomy 2009 - courtesy of the South African Astronomical Observatory
and SALT! (See the email below from the director of the SAAO to the staff).

This has not been officially released to the media just yet but serves
as a call for assistance and volunteers from the AstroNet community.

There will be activities in Sutherland for the week between Christmas
and New Year culminating in a once-in-a-lifetime all night stargazing
session at the SAAO observatory in Sutherland (yes, right up there on
the plateau where SALT and the other telescopes are!). Within a few
weeks we will have press releases and times when people can start
booking places for this unique opportunity to experience the world
famous skies of Sutherland from the telescope plateau itself.

What we need now are volunteers and organising assistance to handle all
the logistics. Please write to me if you are keen and I will send you
more detail.

Let's make the most of this truly unique opportunity to celebrate the
start of a year that will surely remain with us forever!
Regards
Kevin