[AstroNet] From Jhb Planetarium - Very nice view of Planets and Moon early this evening

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Mon Sep 1 10:28:19 SAST 2008

*Very nice evening sight Monday Sept 1st*
Look low in the west (where the Sun sets) this evening (Monday 1st) for
the new crescent Moon.
Over to the right of the Moon is bright Venus (the "evening star").
Mercury (bit fainter) will form the upper corner of a Moon-Venus-Mercury
triangle.
Mars is quite a bit fainter, above the three.
This is an early-evening sight - just as it gets dark.  Later in the
evening they will all have set.

*Watch the Planets over the next few weeks*
Mercury will move up above the horizon and reverse down again this month.
Meanwhile, Venus is slowly moving up and Mars down.
Download diagram and explanation at www.planetarium.co.za

*Now at the Planetarium:*
Thu 7pm - Sky Tonight - a tour around the constellations of our evening
skies, updated as our view changes with the seasons.
Fri 8pm & Sat 3pm - "Planet Report" - an update on the planets of our
solar system, and searches for other possible solar systems.
Sat 10:30am - "Space Travel" for 5-8yr olds
Details at www.planetarium.co.za

Claire Flanagan
Jhb Planetarium
011-717-1390