[AstroNet] Sharing children's thoughts about the Universe

"Dr. Carolina Ödman" odman at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Tue Feb 10 13:34:47 SAST 2009

Dear friends and collaborators,

You may be familiar with the 365 Days of Astronomy podcast (www.365daysofastronomy.org
), a special project for the IYA2009. Every day of 2009, a new podcast
about astronomy contributed by the worldwide community is published.
The podcast is extremely popular with the public with tens of
thousands of listeners every day. Universe Awareness has been awarded
3 dates for this programme and three 5-10 minute podcasts to contribute.

This has made us ask the following question: "What do children think
of the universe?"

We wish to make this an opportunity to share children's perception of
the sky. To best take advantage of this opportunity I would like to
ask all of you, if you have the opportunity to interview children aged
between 4 - 10 that you work with, and ask them about the sky.

We suggest three 'themes':
- They can sing a song, a poem or tell a story or a legend about the
sky that they have heard before or that they have created themselves.
- They can say what they like most about the universe the galaxy, the
solar system, the planet we live on, etc.
- They can say what they think knowing the sky brings them, how it
enriches their life. For that you can ask them what they find
exciting, if they like learning about it, if they see the world
differently since they know about the universe, if they wish to become
astronomers, astronauts, scientists, etc.

To publish the interviews, please record the children and please send
me the clips. It does not need to be of good quality. If you can
record their voice on your mobile phone and send it to me, that is
perfectly fine. If you prefer to film them, feel free to send me a
video. You can send everything by email, or send a link to download
files, or if you wish to send us a CD or a memory stick, here is the
postal address of UNAWE:

Carolina Ödman
Universe Awareness
Leiden Observatory
PO Box 9513
2300 RA Leiden
The Netherlands

We invite clips from all languages. I would be grateful if you could
send a few words  in English, Spanish or French explaining what they
are saying but please send us the genuine recording.

Every clip you send will be published online. We will add them to the
'Children's Creations' section on the UNAWE website and be featured in
films and clips illustrating UNAWE activities internationally. This
will be a source of inspiration for many we are sure. We will also
feature them in news and reports about UNAWE.

Some of the clips will be chosen for the three UNAWE podcast episodes
of the 365 Days of Astronomy series. If they are not in English we
will contact you about the exact meaning of what they are saying and
arrange a voiceover. We expect to use more than one clip in each
podcast so feel free to send as many as you like.

This initiative will be ongoing. Our first deadline is June 1st so we
need to have one podcast ready by then, but we will never cease to be
interested in children's thoughts on the wonders of the universe.

I thank you in advance for your help and look forward to hearing what
your children have to say.

Many thanks and warm regards to all,

Carolina

--