[AstroNet] UNAWE workshop in August 2009 & IAU General Assembly

"Dr. Carolina Ödman" odman at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Feb 23 16:16:06 SAST 2009

Dear Friends,

This year UNAWE will not organise an international workshop in the
Netherlands but we will take advantage of existing meetings. The
biggest upcoming international meeting is of course the General
Assembly of the International Astronomical Union (IAU GA) that takes
place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, on August 3 - 14, 2009. Two weeks of
and intense conference on all aspects of astronomy will bring together
a few thousand professional astronomers from around the world:

http://www.astronomy2009.com.br/

On this occasion, UNAWE will hold its 4th International
Multidisciplinary Workshop on the week-end of August 8-9, 2009 in Rio
de Janeiro. We will hold this event in a different location from the
main conference venue as this is an independent event. More
information about the UNAWE workshop will follow.

The reason I am contacting you all today is to encourage you to try to
come to the IAU GA and see how things like voting Pluto out actually
happen... For that, you will need an invitation letter from your
national IAU representatives or an IAU member. This is usually just a
formality for, e.g. astronomy students but it is needed to complete
the registration process. I also encourage you to submit abstracts to
the sessions relevant to your work, e.g. "SpS4 Astronomy Education
between Past and Future" as this is a great opportunity to present
your work. Proceedings are published for each session.

If you need financial support to come to the IAU GA, the IAU has a
limited number of travel grants. You can find the relevant information
for the IAU grants here:
http://www.astronomy2009.com.br/iaugrants.html

The deadline for the grant applications and cheap registration is
March 1st!

Note that you do not need to register to the IAU GA to take part in
the UNAWE workshop but we are unfortunately not in a position to
sponsor any participants this year. I will send you more information
about the workshop soon.

Warm regards to you all,

Carolina

--