[AstroNet] Announcement of two international projects for IYA2009

Christian Hettlage hettlage at saao.ac.za
Fri Jan 30 20:26:04 SAST 2009

Dear All,

I'm not entirely sure whether the following information has made its
way to the Astronet list. If it has, I apologise for any inconvenience
caused by sending it out again.

Kind regards,

Christian Hettlage

-------------------------
Dear national IYA2009-coordinator,

my working group on physics education and myself are organizing and
coordinating two international observing projects which have been
designated to motivate people all around the world to be aware of the
Sun's motion above the local horizon (and, perhaps, its variation during
weeks) and, respectively, the celestial motion of the moon and its
varying shape. The ultimate goal of these projects is a worldwide
cooperation in order to make visible (and measurable) the Earth's shape
and the moon's distance.

Please have a look at the projects sites which are quite preliminary, up
to now.

- The position of the Sun and the shape of the Earth
<http://www.didaktik.physik.uni-due.de/IYA2009/IYA2009-
SunsPosition.html>

- The distance to the moon
<http://www.didaktik.physik.uni-due.de/IYA2009/IYA2009-MoonsParallax.html

As it is essential for the success of the projects I'd like to ask you
to announce them via your national IYA2009-site and to link our project
sites to your national site. Would you please be so kind and give me a
short note, if you did so?

*Participants from your country would be valuable for the projects - and
being part of an international  cooperation will be a great experience
for  people of your country!*

--
Prof. Dr. Udo Backhaus
Fb Physik der Universität Duisburg-Essen
email: udo.backhaus at uni-due.de
http://www.didaktik.physik.uni-duisburg-essen.de/~backhaus/