[AstroNet] Science Centres gather in Sutherland

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Fri Nov 20 11:21:39 SAST 2009

Greetings all
It's time for science outreach brainstorming with a difference!
This is just a quick email to let you know that the Southern African
Association of Science and Technology Centres will be gathering in
Sutherland next week for their annual conference. The venue was chosen,
of course, because of this year being the International Year of
Astronomy. There's a string of very interesting discussions that will be
taking place - more information about the conference available on
www.saastec.co.za.

The theme of this year's conference is "Reach for the Stars".
With 4 sub-themes:

    * International Year of Astronomy
    * Darwin and Evolution
    * Best Practice at Science Centres (i.e. health and safety,
      marketing, legal issues, insurance -- etc)
    * Successful Innovative Programmes that are worth replicating at
      other science centres.

It's a huge event for many science centre staff as they will have the
opportunity to see first hand the telescope which they teach people
about - the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT). We will be moving
about 110 people from across the country (and some from beyond our
borders) to Sutherland next week for a real "star safari" conference.
The town of Sutherland has really come together to pool efforts and host
a conference of this magnitude. Kudos to the people of Sutherland!
Perhaps more such conferences will help the economy in the area - that's
our hope anyway.

If anyone would like some news about the happenings please contact me
(Kevin Govender) on 0824878466 or Thembela Mantungwa on 0711050109 or
watch this space.

Regards
Kevin