[AstroNet] IAU Office for Astronomy Development

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Wed Feb 24 19:37:19 SAST 2010

Greetings all
In the spirit of keeping everyone up to speed on the latest exciting
things in astronomy, I'd like to bring everyone's attention, once again,
to the International Astronomical Union (IAU) Office for Astronomy
Development. The specific reason for this email is to inform you that
South Africa, along with many other deserving countries (including
Nigeria and India that I know of), intends to submit a bid to host this
office.

Towards the end of last year we brought your attention to the news
surrounding the IAU's strategic plan, a bold and visionary framework to
boost astronomy in the developing world (pdf version of the plan
available at www.iau.org). This Office for Astronomy Development now
represents a major step in the realisation of that strategic plan. South
Africa's bid is not simply about bringing this office to the country but
about bringing it to the continent. Having such a bold international
programme coordinated from Africa will not only stimulate the continent
itself but also make a statement to the rest of the world about our
amazing capacity to contribute to global development.

We see this office being not simply about developing astronomy across
the world but also, very importantly, about using astronomy as a tool
for development - as highlighted in the IAU strategic plan.

I therefore feel very positive about the fact that this office is going
to happen. And wherever it is located in the world, I believe the
fulfilment of the vision and purpose will bring great things to us all.

So if you would like to contribute to or support South Africa's
proposal, or if you would like to know more, please feel free to contact
me. I will be submitting a proposal by this weekend. If you hear of
other proposals which you would like to support, I would encourage you
to do so also - wherever the office goes, it will be a great thing for
astronomy and development. The greater the support for the office
itself, the greater the final impact would be.

As I've said, the other proposers that I know about in Africa are our
colleagues in Nigeria, and wherever it goes I can see us working closely
together for the benefit of Africa.

Good luck to all other proposers. May the spirit of the Office far
exceed the competition to host it.
Regards
Kevin