[AstroNet] An invitation to provide comments to Astronomy Desk

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Wed Nov 10 12:32:46 SAST 2010

Greetings all
As you may have heard, an Astronomy Desk has been established within the
Department of Science and Technology
(http://www.dst.gov.za/prof-hellberg-heads-dsts-astronomy-desk/)
Below please find some information and an invitation to contribute to
the Desk - we're specifically calling out on astronet to those involved
in astronomy/maths/science education and outreach. Please contribute
your thoughts on the role of education and outreach within the context
of the Astronomy Desk's objectives.
Note that the deadline for submissions is 20th November 2010.
Submissions can be made to astronomy.desk at dst.gov.za
Regards
Kevin

To all members on the Astronomy Database

Dear colleague,

*ESTABLISHMENT OF AN ASTRONOMY DESK IN THE DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE AND
TECHNOLOGY*

As you my be aware, the Minister of Science and Technology, Naledi
Pandor, has established an Astronomy Desk in the Department of Science
and Technology. The purpose of the Desk is to advise the Minister on
substantive policy and strategic matters regarding the development of
astronomy and related sciences, as well as pertinent matters relating to
South Africa’s bid to host the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) radio
telescope.

The Minister has appointed me to head the Astronomy Desk. A reference
team of senior scientists will support me with technical and expert
advice. The team consists of Professors George Ellis, Renée
Kraan-Korteweg, Sunil Maharaj, George Miley, and Harm Moraal. The
appointment will be for a period of six months.

The Astronomy Desk will advise and make recommendations on the following:

·               How South Africa should obtain maximum scientific
advantage and return on the significant investment being made in astronomy.

·               The most appropriate relationship between South African
national research facilities and internationally funded projects, so as
to ensure optimal benefit to South Africa.

·               An appropriate structural, organisational and management
relationship between optical and radio astronomy, as well as the
High-Energy Stereoscopic System (HESS) gamma ray telescope in Namibia.
This includes assessing the possibility of creating a single
multi-wavelength astronomy facility or institute.

·             In light of the above, what the most appropriate
governance model is for astronomy facilities in South Africa.

·              What would be a suitable site for the placement of the
MeerKAT operations centre, and any strategic or urgent matters that have
a material impact on South Africa's bid to host the SKA.

·               Any pertinent matters that require attention to ensure
the continued health and functionality of the national astronomy
facilities or the SKA project.

In carrying out this work, I am seeking comment from as wide a
cross-section of the astronomy community as possible on any of the above
items, but particularly in regard to the optimal structure and
governance system for the astronomy facilities.  You may be aware of the
fact that models that have been mentioned include an Astronomy structure
within the NRF, one within the new SA National Space Agency, and a
free-standing Astronomy Agency directly under DST. Other models might
also be considered.

I invite you to submit your comments and suggestions to me for
consideration.  Any suggestions based on international best practice
will be welcomed. You might wish to make comments or suggestions as an
individual or as a part of a group. Should the need arise, I may
wish to  consult you individually or as a part of a group, at a later
stage in the process.

I would appreciate it if you could make your submission to me by 20
November 2010. Electronic copies of the submission should please be sent
to the Astronomy Desk at the following email address:

astronomy.desk at dst.gov.za

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Manfred Hellberg

Emeritus Professor of Physics and Senior Research Associate

University of KwaZulu-Natal

Date: 24 October, 2010

***************
Professor Manfred Hellberg