[AstroNet] Science Out Loud: The Dark Cosmos - talk by Bruce Basset

Jani de Bruin jani.debruin at mtnsciencentre.org.za
Thu Oct 21 23:46:43 SAST 2010

The MTN Sciencentre, in partnership with the African Institute for
Mathematical Sciences (AIMS), invites you to an illustrated lecture:

The Dark Cosmos
Bruce Bassett
Wednesday 27 October @ 18:30 for 19:00

Venue:   Muizenberg Pavillion
Cost:      Adults R20, students R10
              Accompanying children free

We now know that about 95% of our Cosmos is made up of energy we cannot see.
Everything we can see in the universe, everything we know and love, is
therefore a tiny minority. In this talk we will review why cosmologists have
come to this startling conclusion and what it implies for the current state
and future of our universe. In particular we will review dark matter - the
unseen glue that holds galaxies together - and dark energy - the mysterious
energy causing the universe to expand in an ever fast way.

Booking is not necessary and tickets are available at the door.
For more information visit www.mtnsciencentre.org.za