[AstroNet] Digital Planetaium show in Cape Town

Claire Flanagan Claire.Flanagan at wits.ac.za
Mon Sep 5 09:47:15 SAST 2011

To add to Willie's posting: part of our motivation at the Wits
Planetarium for such an upgrade would be to set up a local "science
visualization" facility.

See e.g.

svs.gsfc.nasa.gov <http://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/>

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_visualization

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOoQjdwxKhM

The system being demo'd by SkySkan does astronomy visualization by
"flying past" objects in the Universe, but this equipment and software
can be used for visualization in other fields, and would sometimes
benefit from the huge immersive screen provided by a planetarium.

So, if you're interested in this area:

* the SkySkan people do have samples of other areas of visualization
they can show you on request

* I'd really like to hear from you - not sure how much of this we're
doing in SA

Regards

Claire

Claire Flanagan

Wits Planetarium

011-717-1391 / 9

076-744-4735

011-339-2926 (fax)

www.planetarium.co.za

How is our service ?

The Planetarium is owned and operated by the University of the
Witwatersrand.  If you wish to comment on our service or offer
suggestions on service issues, please email service.admin at wits.ac.za
<mailto:service.admin at wits.ac.za>  . Confidentiality will be respected;
anonymous comments will not be entertained.