[AstroNet] Reporting an observation

Willie Koorts wpk at saao.ac.za
Sat Jan 7 00:46:10 SAST 2012

Hi Vic

If I may dare a reply, this could of course have been a number of things (apart from an explosion). Although you say it was not moving, the fact that it was of short duration is probably most likely a glint off a flat surface of a high altitude satellite which is otherwise invisible, being too faint. I have seen similar events before. Even geostationary satellites can produce naked eye flashes if the circumstances are good.

Regards
Willie