[AstroNet] Reporting an observation

Willie Koorts wpk at saao.ac.za
Mon Jan 9 11:48:48 SAST 2012

Hi

Thanks Greg for the detailed info, always nice to hear "form the horse's mouth". Perhaps you should alert us again closer to September since these are really amazing sightings which I only saw once before.

Regarding reflections off satellites, something which I think people often confuse are that they are produced from the solar panels. If you think about it, solar panels are meant to be pointing at the Sun, hence, if aimed properly and the satellite is still operational, they should reflect back at the Sun rather than Earth. This is exactly the case with the special geostationary viewing opportunity which Greg referred to. In this case the satellites brighten just before being eclipsed by the Earth's shadow, from reflections off their solar panels which are pointing at the Sun (and the Earth, in this circumstance).

Regards
Willie