[AstroNet] Our strangely repulsive Universe: the dark energy mystery in cosmology

Thembela Mantungwa tm at saao.ac.za
Thu Jan 12 14:08:17 SAST 2012

Public Lecture

Dr. Chris Clarkson, a postdoctoral research fellow in the Department of Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at UCT will give a free public lecture at S.A. Astronomical Observatory in Cape Town on Saturday, January 14 at 20h00. The title of his lecture is "Our strangely repulsive Universe: the dark energy mystery in cosmology" After the talk, there will be stargazing and tours of the site.

Summary of the lecture:

Our strangely repulsive Universe: the dark energy mystery in cosmology

Late last year, the Nobel prize in physics went to three cosmologists for “the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe through observations of distant supernovae”. But what does their discovery mean? And what are the implications?

In this talk he will explore our universe on the very largest scales in space and time, and investigate how everything we observe fits neatly together into a single 'Big Bang' picture of the universe. Then we'll see that the 'dark energy' that seems to be accelerating the cosmic expansion rate may be telling us something far deeper: that our universe is not alone...

--
Regards

Thembela Mantungwa
S.A. Astronomical Observatory