[AstroNet] SAAO 200 Days Festival Week 6 : Stars on Zoom by Dr Derek Fish

Sivuyile Manxoyi sivuyile at saao.ac.za
Sat Nov 28 12:54:41 SAST 2020

Dear Friends and Colleagues

Our Bi-Centenary Celebrations , we are week 6 of the SAAO Days Festival and we will be hosting Dr Derek Fish , who will present a talk entitled " Stars on Zoom" on Monday , the 30th of November starting at 14h00. Join us , here is the link :https://bit.ly/2V8arEO

Here is an abstract for this talk :

Stars on Zoom

Lockdown kept us away from each other but not from the beautiful southern skies! It allowed me the time to pursue one of my passions - astronomy - and to share it with others. Every Tuesday night for about half the year I shared a brief astronomy talk via Zoom to a (very) mixed audience ranging from primary school children to Physics Professors. Using powerpoint, PhET simulations and Stellarium I tried to open up the night skies for followers and explain some of the mysteries of space, covering topics ranging from Pulsars to Horoscopes. Learned guest speakers helped to make up for my astronomical shortcomings. Find out more at https://www.facebook.com/Stars-on-Zoom-103486744716374

Derek Fish is NOT an astronomer but studied Physics and recently did a PhD in Physics Education. He has run the Unizulu Science Centre for 30 years and is passionate about awakening curiosity in children of all ages. He will share about what worked and what didn't and some ideas on how to share astronomy remotely.

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday!

Clear skies to all

Sivuyile