[AstroNet] Cosmic Diary

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Wed Dec 5 08:44:12 SAST 2007

Hi all
Please consider participation in the Cosmic Diary Cornerstone project
(details below) and spread the word to those you know who could
participate...
Let me know if you need any assistance else please contact Mariana
Barrosa to participate
Regards
Kevin

The Cosmic Diary is one of the eleven cornerstone projects that will
support the International Year of Astronomy 2009. Each of these projects
is centred on a specific theme and represents a way to achieve the
IYA2009’s main goals.

The Cosmic Diary aim to provide a modern image of science and
scientists, bringing together astronomy and astronomers in a blog. It
will feature 12 men and 12 women, from around the world, who will share
with the public and among themselves the stories of their work, their
research, their travels, and their life. They will also be asked to
explain their scientific work to the public. We are also planning to
produce a book and a video documentary with interviews and information
from these scientists.

Our objective is to bring the public closer to scientists and raise
public awareness of astronomy in particular and science in general.

At this point, we are putting together a preliminary list of candidates
to take part of the Cosmic Diary as bloggers. In this ambit, I would
like to ask for your input, as SPoC for United Republic of Tanzania, in
suggesting the name of an astronomer from your country whom you would
consider a good choice to be a part of this project.

You can find more information regarding the Cosmic Diary at the official
IYA2009 web site: http://www.astronomy2009.org/content/view/295/84/

On behalf of the Cosmic Diary task group, I thank you in advance for
your collaboration.

My best regards,

Mariana Barrosa
Chair, Cosmic Diary Task Group
International Year of Astronomy 2009

--
*** If you are at all interested in Astronomy Education and Outreach, please join the AstroNet email list - details on SA International Year of Astronomy website: www.astronomy2009.org.za ***

Kevin Govender
Manager: SALT Collateral Benefits Programme
South African Astronomical Observatory
Office: +27 21 460 9350
Mobile: +27 82 487 8466
Fax: +27 21 447 3639
Email: kg at saao.ac.za
Skype: kevindran
Website: www.saao.ac.za / www.salt.ac.za
Postal: P.O. Box 9, Observatory, Cape Town, 7935, South Africa
Street: SAAO, Observatory Road, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa