[AstroNet] innovative ways of doing astronomy outreach

Sam Rametse sam at hartrao.ac.za
Thu Jan 24 11:50:06 SAST 2008

Hi All

This is something that we have not yet done at HartRAO but I think it
could work. "load shedding" = opportunity to do outreach. Eskom publishes
the times and areas that will be without electricity (without light). As
astronomy outreach facility you can target a particular area within your
radius, alongside the Eskom advert, you can advertise that there will be
sky viewing at a central area.I think the turnout could be amazing, people
are bored without electricity (lets give something to do beside crime).

Its going to be like this for the next 10 years, we might as well take
advantage.

Sam Rametse
Hartebeesthoek Radio Astronomy observatory
Science Awareness programme
tel: 012 326 0742
Fax: 012 326 0756
www.Hartrao.ac.za
wise words
"We know from science that nothing in the universe
 exists as an isolated or independent entity"
-Margaret J. Wheatley