[AstroNet] Invitaion: Algeria Astronomy Fair

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Mon Oct 6 15:56:17 SAST 2008

Dear Sir
Our Association organizes every year a large gathering on astronomy at
Constantine in Algeria, the largest of its kind in North Africa, and it
would be very happy to make it an African event, especially in the
context of the coming celebration of the International Astronomy Year
2009. This is why we extend to you this to participate at this gathering.
This gathering, hold in conjunction with the World Space Week
celebrations, is held under the hospice of His Excellency the Governor
of Constantine and will take place from 30th October till the 1st
November 2008. It brings together astronomers from around the country,
in addition to astronomy associations from all over Algeria and from
abroad. In particular, we expect the participation of the AUASS , the
SAF (Société Astronomique de France), Association Jeunes-Science from
Tunis, from Greece, Lebanon, Kuwait, Iran, and others which will confirm
soon. The ASAL (L'Agence Spatiale Algerienne) is a partner in the
gathering and has been participating in it ever since its inception in
2002.In addition to the Salon held in the exposition hall of the Palais
de la Culture Malek Haddad, there will be a series of public lectures
and specialized workshops.
This year's theme of the has been chosen for World Space Week 2009 is :
Exploring the Universe. As a subtheme,the National Fair organizing
committee has chosen to take the opening up of the field of extrasolar
astronomy as this year's theme. It will deal with this new vista in
Astronomy which will no doubt led us to a new understanding of planetary
systems and will at term help us better understand our own solar
environment and its origin.

We expect each guest association to participate to the Fair by setting
up a stand displaying their local/national astronomy activities
(pictures, scale models, artifacts, realizations, …). A short talk could
be given about a specific astronomy topic or about astronomy in their
country.
Concerning the local accommodations at Constantine, it is completely at
our charge.

The web page of the meeting, which is being constantly updated, is at:
http://www.siriusalgeria.110mb.com/salon08

You may consult with benefit last year's page at:

http://www.siriusalgeria.110mb.com/salon07/
http://www.siriusalgeria.110mb.com/salon07/pict07.htm

Hoping to hear from you very soon.
Kindly yours.