[AstroNet] Solar Week coming up

Claire Flanagan Claire.Flanagan at wits.ac.za
Wed Oct 8 08:53:34 SAST 2008

Dear Astronet

Appended is a notification about UC Berkeley / NASA "Solar Week", coming
up Oct 20th to 24th.

There's a nice connection here that we can maybe use - we have a partial
solar eclipse coming up next Jan 26th, we at the Planetarium are almost
ready to start advertising eclipse viewers and gathering orders.  In
order to get ready for the eclipse, we will be asking schools and
organizations to order viewers by end Oct.  I didn't want to mention
this until we are fully geared up for it, and we still need to test
filter material.  We'll keep you in touch, and if you or anyone you know
of is planning anything for the eclipse, please let us know!

Claire Flanagan

Jhb Planetarium

Claire.flanagan at wits.ac.za

011-717-1390

Hello Johannesburg Planetariums/Science Centers,

Solar Week will be the week of Oct. 20-24, produced by UC-Berkeley, NASA
and Industry, see more about it here;

www.solarweek.org

Solar Week is a week-long series of educational lessons, games, and
other activities online! Been online since 1999, Solar Week explores how
we study the Sun, and the important role the Sun plays in our everyday
lives on Earth!

In addition, students can submit questions to the highly talented team
of actual working solar scientists all week-long. The website can be
worked (day or night), from a classroom, computer-lab, etc.

I'm asking that you post a temporary link (graphic) to your site in
support, and to enourage more student awareness! If you have any
questions, feel free to contact me, thank you.

Jim Stryder
NASA-Soho/UN-IHY '07
Sunworks Liaison
&