[AstroNet] call for proposals for IYA2009

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Tue Oct 21 13:52:01 SAST 2008

2009 is approaching fast and the excitement is bulding! It's now time to
start implementing!

This is an open call to the astronomy community to put your many ideas
down into simple "one page proposals" (and I do mean SIMPLE) so that we
can try to get you the resources and collaborations to make your
activities happen in 2009! For those who would rather simply adopt an
activity that needs doing there is also the "to-do" list on the IYA
website (http://www.astronomy2009.org.za/projects/full-list/) that you
are welcome to contribute to.

Please note that this call for a "proposal" is independent of calls we
may later receive from the SA government or SAASTA - this is simply an
effort in co-ordinating the activities we hope to make happen in 2009.
There isn't an immediate slush fund available for these simple "one page
proposals" - but we hope to be able to raise funds and resources for them.

Please note that all your proposals will be placed onto the IYA website
(i.e. it will be public) which will be to your benefit as more
opportunities for funding come up from various sources all around the
world - such as the recent EAS one. Making these proposals public will
also help our small community to share ideas and interact with each
other on various projects. Some of your proposals may not need funding
or may already be funded but will be important in co-ordinating the
activities so as to maximise the support and benefits (e.g. if you have
a project for a star party then we may provide you with telescopes or
handouts etc that may enhance the activity).

I encourage every individual or organisation who has any plans for
IYA2009 to send in your simple one pager(s) (send to
info at astronomy2009.org.za) so that we can create a database and thus
support and enhance your activities, either with funds, resources,
volunteers or collaborations. The sooner you get them in the better - it
shouldn't take you more than a few minutes to brainstorm with your
colleagues and then send us a description. We'll follow up with you for
more details should we need them.

Please send in your one page proposal(s) containing the following:

1. Title (just a name for your project - for our reference)
2. Name of implementing organisation or individual
3. Contact details (especially cellphone numbers and email addresses)
4. Brief description of activity (just a paragraph or two of what the
project entails and how it will work)
5. Estimated funds required (no need for great detail - just a rough
estimate and breakdown of costs needed to make it happen)
6. Date and venue of implementation (when and where would you like it to
take place)

NOTE: The idea is to give us a sense of the project and we will then
contact you should we need more information. It's fine if it's a little
over a page but please try to keep it concise. You may send it in the
text of an email or in any commonly readable document format (doc, pdf,
txt, etc). Send all proposals to info at astronomy2009.org.za. You may send
in as many proposals as you wish.

Looking forward to helping make your projects happen.

PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD!

Regards
Kevin
0824878466