[AstroNet] Galileoscope discussion

Maciej Soltynski Maciej at telkomsa.net
Wed Mar 11 11:08:32 SAST 2009

I strongly agree with Rupert. All that is necessary is the objective lens and the eyepiece lens. The rest should be a project for the kids / educator / interested amateur.

If money is to be spent for a complete optical system, then surely binoculars should be considered?

Maciej

  I think there is far greater reward in being able to "create" a
  telescope then to be handed it on a plate. Not only will kids learn
  about technical problems and that they are capable of solving it
  themselves but they may be inspired to go further, instead of
  believing that every thing comes from some far off land. Give them a
  lesson in the alignment of the optics and the only thing not readily
  available- the optics.
  I am sure their are capable people in this mailing list who could
  build a telescope out of some cardboard or sticks and sticky tape! A
  tripod can be made from a string hanging from a tree, or three
  broomsticks tied together? ...

  Rupert