[AstroNet] List

Allen Versfeld allen.versfeld at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 08:58:02 SAST 2009

This isn't exactly a high-volume mailing list...

However, most posters (myself included) have not been trimming posts,
so that by the end of a conversation, each individual message can run
to several thousand words.  I can see why this is a problem for users
like Jodi who (judging from their email address) are receiving mail
through a mobile internet account and probably paying per byte.

Perhaps we should all look to the past, before forums and blogs, and
remember basic mailing list etiquette?  The most fundamental rule was
to Trim Posts, meaning Delete everything that you didn't write
personally, except for those specific portions to which you are
replying or referring.

Meanwhile, like all mailing lists, this is a self-service operation.
By clicking the link attached to the bottom of every single mail (
http://mail.saasta.ac.za/mailman/listinfo/astronet ), you will be
taken to a webpage where you can unsubscribe yourself.  If you can't
remember your password, it provides you with the email address of the
list administrator, so that you can request assistance without
spamming the list.