[AstroNet] List

Mellony Spark mellony at saao.ac.za
Fri Mar 13 11:45:28 SAST 2009

Hi,

Allen Versfeld wrote:
> This isn't exactly a high-volume mailing list...

To add my 2 penneth (and possibly contradict what I'm about to say by
doing so) I don't want back-forth discussions in my inbox; the problem
is not the size but number of individual posts and I agree with the
comment that this is exactly what blogs and discussion forums are for,
not mailing lists.

I'm interested in news/announcements and calls for
assistance/information (not a half-dozen on-going conversations). Any
comments on these events starts a thread of discussion that should be
handled by a message board which we can choose to subscribe to
separately if we want to be notified about  comments on a particular topic.

Can we organise this? To have interested members dropping out of mailing
lists because the enthusiasm of certain discussions starts to become
spam is a shame and counter-productive.

Mellony