[AstroNet] Sky-Skan Full dome demo - Iziko Planetarium Cape Town - April 2009

Theo Ferreira tferreira at iziko.org.za
Wed Mar 18 17:20:00 SAST 2009

Sky- Skan Demonstration  - (Full Dome Digital Planetarium System)

Sky-Skan one of the leading suppliers of full dome immersive theatre
equipment will be installing a demo system in the Iziko Planetarium in
Cape Town.  The system will be up and running by the 6 April 2009 and
will run through to 13 April 2009 (trying for the 4 April 2009), which
is school holidays in the Cape.

The Sky-Skan Full Dome Definiti Planetarium system and the Digital Sky 2
and Digital Universe software programmes, which utilise real
astronomical data bases, will be featured - www.skyskan.com/

There will be demonstrations to interested parties in the morning before
our regular show times (and whenever we can fit them in!) concentrating
on the astronomical capabilities of the system.  If you are interested
in an in depth "one on one" demo, please let me know and I will send
your details to Sky - Skan. We hold no brief from Sky Skan; they are
merely using our venue to demonstrate their equipment.

For further information please contact me directly via email:
tferreira at iziko.org.za. or telephone 021 4813901 (w) / 082 8957227 (c)

In addition they have made the following shows available not only for
demonstration, but also for the general public to share and to
experience a Full Dome digital show. In addition we will do brief sky
shows for the public before these shows. I have not firmed up on times,
but these shows will take place before (children's show) and after our
regular shows.  I will post details on our website shortly -
www.iziko.org.za/planetarium

They represent an excellent cross-section of quality presentations
available in fulldome planetaria today:

Infinity Express is a production of the Smithsonian Institution and one
of the highest grossing shows in the Fulldome world. Narrated by
Laurence Fishburne, it looks at the latest discoveries is astronomy,
from Mars to Southern Hemisphere galaxy surveys.

Black Holes - Journey into the Unknown is produced by the respected
production team at the Melbourne Planetarium. This visually-dynamic
production won a major award at DomeFest in the United States and has
sold around the world. It is narrated by Geoffrey Rush.

Awesome Light is a production just released from the Imiloa Astronomy
Centre in Hawaii. Imiloa have enviable access to scientists and data
from the international telescopes on Maunakea and have made good use of
these resources to present a set of 3 of discoveries made in 2008 by the
Japanese Telescope, Subaru; the international consortium of Gemini
North; and the Canadian/French/Hawaiian (CFHT) telescopes. Recently
launched in Athens and Hamburg, the production mixes extraordinary
timelapse sequences of the telescopes and brand new discoveries of an
extra-solar planet, a supernova observed in real time and a deep
galactic survey that is changing the way scientists think about the
evolution of the Universe.

Tyco - a presentation fro young children, but I do not have all the
details to hand it is produced in the Southern hemisphere , by the
Melbourne Planetarium, a show which I have seen and enjoyed.

Theo Ferreira

Manager: Planetarium/ AV Co-ordinator

Iziko Museums of Cape Town

25 Queen Victoria Street   Cape Town