[AstroNet] Lion's Head Hike and Evening meeting about Astronomy in Africa

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Fri Sep 4 09:36:53 SAST 2009

Hi all
We have two big astronomy events tonight. You are welcome to both!

1. Full moon hike up Lion's Head:

Hey Everyone,

The full moon is Friday night and we are planning another expedition up
Lions Head!  If it is clear, we will be departing from SAAO at 5 pm.  If
anyone wants to join us and needs a ride, then please let me know and
meet us at  5 pm in front of the SAAO main building. Else meet at Lion's
Head.

Cheers,
Steve

2. Meeting about Astronomy in Africa:

Hi all
This will take place tonight at 18:00. See details below...

Patrice Okouma and I have decided to call a relatively informal
gathering on Friday 4th September 2009 at 18:00 (16:00 GMT) at the SAAO
in Cape Town and linked to the rest of the world via Skype. The main
reason for this gathering is to discuss Astronomy and Space Science in
Africa with a focus being on the IAU Strategic Plan which was ratified
at the last General Assembly. In this plan it is clear that Africa, and
especially Sub-Saharan Africa will be a focus region for development for
the IAU over the next decade. This may amount to activities such as
visiting lecturers at African universities; schools for young
astronomers; telescope donations; intitute twinning; high level
delegation visits; etc.

Thus far many activities have already been happening across the
continent both for the International Year of Astronomy as well as in the
Space Science arena. All this has contributed to us featuring very
strongly in the IAU development strategy (e.g. see Appendix C of the
document).

Realizing that many astronomy related people around the Western Cape of
South Africa are either from countries outside of South Africa or have
interest in African development we have chosen the SAAO as the physical
venue. We will arrange transport to the SAAO from UCT for those who find
it difficult to travel to the SAAO (interested persons should meet
outside the Student Information Office opposite the sports centre at
17:30). We would like to strongly encourage everyone outside of Cape
Town to please join us online. We will be on skype using my user name
(kevindran) from 18:00.

Please have a look at the IAU's strategic plan before this meeting (it's
not a very long read). A copy can be downloaded from www.iau.org.  (it's
about 2MB).

We look forward to seeing you there (in person or online). Please pass
this on to people we may have left off the list who may be interested in
joining.
(we'll arrange for some snacks or pizzas - let us know if you are able
to make it in person so we know how many to cater for).

Remember, there is no fixed agenda - this is meant to be a brainstorm so
bring your ideas and input and let's see how we can contribute to
African development together.

Regards
Kevin (+27824878466) and Patrice (+27734173614)