[AstroNet] IAU OAD signing ceremony in Pretoria tomorrow

Kevin Govender kg at saao.ac.za
Thu Jul 29 11:29:51 SAST 2010

Greetings to everyone
This is just a brief email to inform you that after weeks of
negotiations to finalise the agreement for the hosting of the IAU Office
for Astronomy Development (OAD) in South Africa, the signing ceremony
will be taking place tomorrow morning (Friday 30th July 2010) at the
headquarters of the National Research Foundation (NRF) in Pretoria.

Amongst the dignitaries attending this media event will be:
-    Dr Ian Corbett, General Secretary of the IAU;
-    Prof George Miley, IAU Vice President for Development and Education
-    Dr Molapo Qhobela, Deputy Director General of the Department of
Science and Technology;
-    Dr Albert van Jaarsveld, President of the NRF;
-    Prof Phil Charles, Director of the South African Astronomical
Observatory (SAAO)
-    Prof Patricia Whitelock, IAU representative for South Africa and
based at SAAO

A press release with photos will follow soon after the signing.

Please feel free to contact me for more information.

Also, we have recorded the talk by Prof George Miley last night and will
have it online soon. Let me if you would rather pick up a DVD of the
talk from us.

Regards
Kevin Govender
Mobile: +27(0)824878466