[AstroNet] What's up at the Observatory this Saturday

Thembela Mantungwa tm at saao.ac.za
Mon Jul 18 10:33:44 SAST 2011

Hi there,

On Saturday, July 23 at 20h00, Getachew Mekonnen Mengistie will give a free public lecture at S.A. Astronomical Observatory (SAAO) in Cape Town. The topic of his lecture is "Searching exoplanets: Is there life out there" After the talk, there will be stargazing (weather permitting), tours of the library, the McClean museum and telescope. Visitors are advised to arrive at least at 19h30, this will give them time to park and find the venue.

Abstract of the talk:

During this lecture, Getachew will give a brief overview about exoplanets and planets beyond our solar system. He will then talk about the technique used to detect these planets and who is working on searching them. For those curious about finding life out there, Getachew will also explain life searching methods in our solar system as well as in Extrasolar planets.
Getachew Mekonnen Mengistie is a Masters student in the National Astrophysics and Space Science Programme (NASSP) at UCT. He is originally from Ethiopia. He is currently based at SAAO doing his research on Gravitational Microlensing and the search for Extrasolar Planets .

--
Regards

Thembela Mantungwa
S.A. Astronomical Observatory