[AstroNet] Decoding the Distance Scales of Astronomy: The cosmic distance ladder

Thembela Mantungwa tm at saao.ac.za
Thu Jan 19 16:33:51 SAST 2012

A public lecture

Deatrick Foster, a PhD student at Vanderbilt University in the USA will give a free public lecture at SA Astronomical Observatory in Cape Town on Saturday, January 28 at 20h00. The title of his lecture is "Decoding the Distance Scales of Astronomy: The cosmic distance ladder" After the talk, there will be stargazing and tours of the site.

Abstract:
Astronomers use a variety of techniques to measure distances to the stars. These methods are areas of active research in astronomy with significant implications for our understanding of the Universe. No single technique can measure distance for all the different size scales encountered in astronomy. With few exceptions, distances based on direct measurements can probe only a small fraction of our own Galaxy. For distances beyond that, getting reasonable distance estimates require us to make assumptions based on our best understanding of the underlying physical conditions involved. For example, we may recognise a particular distant object as a member of a class whose properties are consistent enough to use for accurate estimation of distances. This presentation is an overview of the methods used for determining the vast distances in astronomy.

--
Regards

Thembela Mantungwa
S.A. Astronomical Observatory