[AstroNet] Cape Centre of ASSA activities

L Labuschagne xtrahand at iafrica.com
Wed Feb 19 13:05:27 SAST 2014

Here is some information about talks and activities at the Cape Centre of
the Astronomical Society (ASSA) for the next few months.

This is also a reminder that anyone interested in astronomy is welcome to
join ASSA, whether you are a professional or amateur astronomer.  Those in
the Cape are welcome to come and attend some of our meetings to see what we
do.

Talks and events in February:

SAAO Open Night Saturday 22 February (20:00 in the SAAO Auditorium)

Dr. Tana Dale Joseph (SKA/UCT) will present a talk entitled “Many eyes on
the sky: Multi-wavelength astronomy in Southern Africa”:

Galileo Galilei did not invent the telescope, but he did use it to study the
heavens and thus ushered in a new era of astronomical discovery. Optical
telescopes have since developed from the small instruments of Galileo’s
times to large telescopes like the Southern African Large Telescope (SALT)
and others.  Hoever, even the largest of those concentrating on the visible
part of the electromagnetic spectrum are limited: in order to have a
complete understanding of astrophysical objects, we require information from
other regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. By combining optical
observations with those taken from radio, X-ray, gamma-ray or infrared
telescopes, we can learn more about the various physical processes that
occur throughout the Universe. This is called multi-wavelength astronomy.

Southern Africa contains astronomical facilities that allow us to observe
the Universe over the entire electromagnetic spectrum. Starting from the low
frequency end, we have the MeerKAT being built in the Karoo as well as the
existing Hartebeesthoek Radio telescope in Gauteng. We also have SALT, while
the highest frequency photons, gamma rays, are studied using the High Energy
Stereoscopic System (HESS) in Namibia. These world-class facilities will
help to make Southern Africa a leader in astronomical research.

In this talk, Dr. Joseph will discuss the science using MeerKAT and the SKA,
as well as SALT and HESS. Also the increase in X-ray astronomy research
being carried out in South Africa.

Wednesday 26 February:  (20:00 in the SAAO Auditorium) Lia Labuschagne talks
about Albert Einstein, the man and his work. This will recap, condense and
update the series of talks she gave on the subject a few years ago.

Talks in March and April

Wednesday 12 March: Prof Roy Maartens of the UWC and the SKA will talk to us
about "The SKA as a probe of the Universe" - how we use use radio waves to
probe further back in time and deeper in space than the optical can, how
radio can 'see' through dusty regions that obscure optical etc. He will
focus on mapping the distribution of galaxies, and maybe say a bit also
about pulsars. Quiz Evening, 19/26 March (date to be confirmed). We'll
continue with the large observatories as theme, provided we have enough
questions.

Wednesday 9 April: Dr Kelly Hess (Post-Doc at the Department of Astronomy
UCT) will discuss high velocity clouds in the Milky Way and other galaxies
as evidence for primordial gas accretion, a "galactic fountain" recycling
gas through star formation, and interactions between galaxies.

23 April: Richard Jones will discuss the runaway breakdown theory

--
Cape Centre of  the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa
P O Box 13018, Mowbray, 7705, CAPE TOWN

088 123 1634 | starline: 088 131 1001

capecentre at gmail.com | www.capecentre.org.za | www.facebook.com/capecentre