[AstroNet] Galileoscope discussion

Claire Flanagan Claire.Flanagan at wits.ac.za
Tue Mar 10 19:31:43 SAST 2009

Kevin: what's the chance of getting the cardboard-tube telescope kits
that SAAO used to distribute going again?  Any idea what they would
cost?  And what they can see?

We haven't considered stocking the Galileoscope here - looking at the
price of it, and then remembering it needs a tripod (not included), and
that it's a small telescope, we didn't see how it could compete in the
retail market with e.g. the Celestron Powerseeker - 60mm telescope, with
tripod, for R650.  Cheapest tripod I can find on the internet is R400.

My ideal for outreach would be a stack of Dobsonian telescopes - bigger
aperture, solid mount, easy to point at stuff like the Moon.  Then I'd
loan them out for a sky-watching evening.  Would need at least a trailer
to transport though . . .

The Galileoscope on a cheap tripod is going to be shaky and difficult I
suspect for a kid to use.  How are you thinking of using them for
outreach?  Have we heard from anyone who has been using them?

Kobie and Andrie: I'd be really interested to hear your opinions . . .

And what happened to the CSIR project to make telescopes for local
outreach?  Anyone on the list know about that one?

Claire Flanagan

Jhb Planetarium