[AstroNet] Galileoscope discussion

Case Rijsdijk particles at mweb.co.za
Thu Mar 12 10:04:33 SAST 2009

Hi All,

I have been following the discusion on the "Galilean Telescope" with
interest. To me anything more that R100 for what is effectively a "toy"
telescope is wasting money.

1    If you want to show anyone how a telescope works then the Johan Smit
route or the SAAO telescope is fine and as good as anything else. By the way
postive lenses for the SAAO scope are available form the same supplier. The
lenses for such a scope cost < R2.00. The SAAO kit is easy to assemble and
each child can walk away with their own fvor < R8

2    A 150mm Dobsonian is arguably the best alternative for a "proper" -
robust, simple, poratble and cheap - avoid cheap tripods - they are never
rigid enough. The one I have borrowed from SAAO works brilliantly and does
not cost an arm and a leg!!

I think that SAAO should start taking orders for their little telescope
rather than wasting money on imports.

Kind regards

Case